Food for Thought
- There are more than 4,300 public and private high schools in Pennsylvania
- There are roughly 27,400 high schools in the United States
- There are 7 million participants in high school athletics
- Only 2 % of these are contacted by a college coach
- Only 5 % of these participants actually play a college sport
- Less than 1/2 of 1% of athletes receive some form of aid
- Most high schools never have a full-scholarship Division 1 athlete
- There are 1 million high school football players, almost 500,000 boys play high school basketball, and about 400,000 play baseball. Only about 11,000 altogether participate in college football, baseball, and basketball.There are 32 teams in the NFL with 53 players on each team. During the NFL draft each team gets 7 picks. Only 234 college players are drafted each year out of about 15,000 eligible players. Of the 234 drafted, approximately 160 actually make NFL teams.
- There are 30 teams in the NBA and each team carries 12 players. In the United States, there are more than 553,000 boys who participate in high school basketball. Only about 11,550 of these high school players go on to play college basketball at the 730 colleges with basketball teams. These colleges range from junior colleges to major universities. More than 90 percent of the NBA players come from large universities that are classified as Division 1 schools. In Division 1 schools, there are 1,320 starting players. The NBA drafts only 60 players each year, and not all of these players actually make an NBA team.
- There are 1,200 players on the 30 major league teams. Baseball is somewhat different from other professional sports because of its extensive minor league program. Each year, the major league draft selects players for the 26 teams. A player who is drafted very rarely goes directly to the majors. There are more than 4,000 players on 164 teams in the minor league program, and it usually takes several years at the minor league level to tell if a player has the skills to play in the majors
- Only one out of every 12,000 high school athletes will become a pro
Information courtesy of Niles North High School, District 219