The Family & Consumer Science Major:
Featuring Community Service
The Family and Consumer Science (F.C.S.) Major has evolved into one of the mostmeaningful and respected high school electives.
The F.C.S. Major is a course designed to prepareyoung men and women for the future by promoting:
- Personal growth, character building, leadership development, and interpersonal communication.
- Responsibility and contribution as an individual, family member, and community leader.
- Work ethic, organization, management, collaboration, teamwork, and leadership skills.
- Service learning through practical experiences in food preparation, sewing project construction, and event planning.
- 21st Century Skills as a thinker, leader, collaborator, and creator.
"When you know better,you do better."
Project Based Service LearningNursing Home Visits
Partnership with Woods ServicesAid for Friends Animal Shelter ContributionsRed Cross Initiatives Veterans and the Armed Forces Quilts forKids Desserts for the SharedMealChildren's Hospital Visits Adopt a Grandparent ProgramCollaborative Global Projects with other Schools and UniversitiesIn addition, students are given the opportunity to research
needs in and outside of the community and design a project
that is best suited to exploit their own interests, abilities, and talents.