Does quarantine get you down?
Are you excited for Spring?
Here is a fun idea I put together to get people out, exploring the environment, learning about local plants, and getting a little technology usage in there. Plus, it can be a friendly challenge or more competitive depending on how seriously you want to take it.
It is a scavenger hunt that will change weekly depending on the different species currently in bloom. Certain species may seem familiar to you, some may not! I see all of them on my daily walks with my dog and figured why not get some people to learn about these local flowers.
Here’s the challenge:
- Get the weekly list of plants and adhere to the strict deadline for submission
- Go out and find the plants! Some are found in gardens, some in the middle of your lawn, some in a wooded area, that’s part of the challenge! Some are rarer, some are very common, hence different point values.
- Take a picture of each plant in flower, it must be in flower unless mentioned, not budding, but actual flower (please don’t “Google” images, but rather add a little spice to your walks and actually find them!). Here is a big hint, if it is in flower now, it’s probably on the list to the best of my ability.
- Put the pictures in a PowerPoint or Google Slideshow. Make sure the first slide is how you want to be named on the leaderboard. If it’s an individual or a family, let me know! Each plant needs a slide and a title of the plant species and email or share it with Jmaloney@neshaminy.org
- I will “grade” the submissions and produce a weekly leaderboard. It is my intention for it to be a friendly competition between siblings, families, or event kids and parents.
- We will see how long this continues on for! I will try to get out a weekly list of plants on Fridays in the future, with a submission time of Sunday evenings around 8:00 pm, this week is a little different.
Week 1 - Submission Deadline 3/26 @ 8:00pm - List of Plants here
Week 2 - Submission Deadline 3/29 @ 8:00 pm - List of Plants here