This course will be a progression from analyzing, to writing, to delivering speeches - while developing a personal style - and finally, to public debate.
Throughout the public speaking unit, students will gain confidence and knowledge in how to engage an audience in a captivating speech.
In the debate unit, students will utilize critical thinking skills by researching, analyzing, and then formulating an opinion on a topical issue. Students will learn how to frame an argument, will be aware of the opposing point of view, and then be able to express their arguments concretely and professionally.
Supplies: *Please have supplies by Monday, September 16
- Spiral Notebook – please try to get 8.5x11 (many are 10.5 x8)
- Pen or pencil
- Agenda Book
- Positive Attitude
The spiral notebook will serve as an “Interactive Notebook” for activities, worksheets, and reflective practices (journaling) to set goals and monitor skill development.
- Be Prepared
- Be Positive
- Only speak when you have the floor
- Respect everyone and everything in the classroom
- Use appropriate voice levels
- Verbal warning
- Parent contact
- Discipline referral (formal write-up)
- All students will Participate in every class through one or more of these actions:
~Read ~ Reflect/Process ~Write ~Opine ~Listen ~Ask Questions
- Students will arrive on time
- Students will collaborate on group projects, forge working relationships, value others’ opinions while seeing the value in theirs, and will strive to maintain order = positive conflict resolution.
- Students will seek help