History of Albert Schweitzer Elementary School
Middletown Township - Bucks County, Pennsylvania
(Reprinted from dedication program May 18, 1960)
The Middletown Township School Board and the Neshaminy District Joint School Board establish the policies under which the operation of the Albert Schweitzter Elementary School is conducted.
The Neshaminy School District, with Dr. Oliver S. Heckman as Supervising Prinicipal, provides overall supervision of the school. The day-to-day administration is in the hands of Mrs. Jeanette Robinson, Prinicipal. The faculty consists of 28 classroom teachers as well as one special teacher for art and one for music. The auxiliary group supporting the teaching group comprises 2 custodians, 12 custodian-bus drivers, 21 kitchen and cafeteria assistants and one secretarial aide, on a full-time and part-time basis.
The Albert Schweitzer Elementary School is situated on a 15-acre tract at Harmony and Hay Roads, Levittown, Pennsylvania. The school structure, financed through the Middletown Township, Bucks County, School Authority, emcompasses 24 classrooms for grades 1 through 6 and four kindergartens. The building is integrated with an adjoining school, the Carl Sandburg Junior High School, and many of the facilities are shared by the students of both schools.
Construction of the school was started in September 1958 and initial occupancy took place September 1959.