Ferderbar Elementary places a premium on student safety. Security initiatives currently in place include:
- A collaborative partnership between the school and the local Lower Southampton Police Department and first responders.
- Security cameras covering the building-inside and out
- Door monitoring system
- Electronic “key cards” used for access control
- Video access control at the main entrance doors.
- Emergency procedures, handbooks and evacuation maps in each classroom.
- Fire and burglar alarm systems monitored 24-7.
- Monthly Crisis Emergency Response Team meetings-our building safety committee which plans monthly drills including lock down, fire, and shelter in place drills.
Parents/Guardians: We ask all parents/guardians to inform us immediately if your phone number (cell, home & work), email or address changes. Additionally, children will only be released to adults listed on the emergency information form.
Talk with your child about listening and following directions at all times especially during an emergency.
Report any safety concerns you may have to the principal.
In the event of an actual emergency, parents arriving at the school may interfere with police officers, firefighters and other emergency personnel. Your help in allowing these professionals to effectively do their jobs is appreciated. In the event of an evacuation or early dismissal, we will do our best to notify you through the district and school website.Thank you for your help as we work together to keep our children safe.Description of the Kinds of Drills we Practice
Shelter in Place: A Shelter in Place Drill is called to practice getting all of the students and staff into one centralized location inside the school. This way everyone is safe, accounted for and information can quickly and easily be passed to staff and students. We may Shelter in Place during severe weather.
Code Blue: A Code Blue Drill is called to practice getting all students and staff into the closest lockable room. This way everyone is safe locked inside a classroom. A Code Blue may be called if there is a human threat inside or outside of the school building.
Evacuation Drill: An Evacuation Drill is practiced to get all students and staff out of the building and to a centralized location. This way everyone is safe, accounted for and information can quickly and easily be passed to staff and students. We may evacuate for a fire.