Neshaminy Volunteer Policy
Neshaminy School District recognizes that volunteers can make valuable contributions to the school district. The Board encourages the use of volunteers, subject to the guidelines set forth in this policy. This policy is established to formalize Board practices and to provide measures for a safe environment for all employees and students, in full compliance with laws and guidelines mandated by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
Definition of a volunteer
Volunteer – One who voluntarily provides a service to the school district without compensation. The building principal authorizes the selection and use of parents/guardians, community members, and others, as volunteers to assist and supplement regular school district staff. The principal will provide a policy letter to each volunteer and obtain an affirmation form to be completed by the volunteer. Under no circumstances shall a volunteer be considered an employee of the district. A volunteer shall receive no wages or other valuable consideration for the performance of volunteer services. The volunteer position is not a right, but a privilege that is conferred by the Board. Any such volunteer position may be eliminated at any time for any reason or no reason.
Who needs to obtain volunteer clearances?
Any adult applying for or holding a volunteer position who is responsible for a child's welfare or has direct contact with children during curricular or co-curricular activities needs to obtain volunteer clearances. Examples include coaching assistants, classroom volunteers, Home & School activity volunteers, playground volunteers, office volunteers, field trip chaperones, or school musical / drama volunteers. Clearances are not needed for such activities as concession stand operators (as long as children are not also working in the concession stand), 50/50 or raffle ticket sales at school and sports events, or one-time classroom visitors or educational speakers (though proper ID is still required for all school visitors).
The Neshaminy School Board has established the following guidelines with regard to volunteers:
- The building principal or designee shall assume general authority and responsibility over all volunteers serving at that site. A record of their names and a brief description of the service performed shall be maintained at the building level.
- Volunteers may undertake activities such as, but not limited to those listed below, provided that such activities are under the direction of school district staff, and do not conflict with any provisions of policies or procedures of the school district.
Assisting in supervising students
Preparing instructional materials
- Volunteers shall be required to have clearances. The above aforementioned volunteers shall comply with the legally mandated employee requirements and procedures for a criminal history check – Act 24 and Act 114 (Criminal Record Background Check) and Act 151 (Child Abuse History Clearance).
- Clearances shall be at the volunteer’s expense. In cases of need the expense for clearances may be considered for reimbursement by the building principal. As long as the volunteer stays in continuous service, there is no need for additional clearance checks.
- Volunteers are required to submit to a tuberculosis examination if the volunteer work may involve ten or more hours per week in direct contact with children. The cost of the examination shall be at the volunteer’s expense.
- Volunteers shall not administer or enforce discipline upon students.
- Except in cases of emergency, volunteers shall not administer first aid or medicine to students.
- Except as specifically authorized by the building administrator on a case-by-case basis, volunteers shall not operate any motor vehicles owned by the school district, nor shall they transport students as part of any school district program or activity.
- All volunteers shall maintain confidentiality in working with students, staff, and all privileged information in the school.
To complete the volunteer process please click below: