Try some of these reading strategies to help ensure you
understand what you are reading.
- Ask Questions --partners read a page silently and then ask each other a question about that page before moving on.
- Take Turns--partners take turns reading the story out loud
- Predict - Read- Discuss--partners make predictions about material, read to confirm or disconfirm their predictions, discuss the outcome, and start over again
- Making Connections--partners read a predetermined amount of text and then tell the text-self, text-text, or text-world connection they have made
- Read-Pause-Retell--partners read, stop and think--take turns retelling what they have read--repeat
- Visualizing--partners read a portion of the text and describe the pictures they have created in their minds,--repeat
- Sticky Notes--partners decide together where to put sticky notes to mark what is most interesting, most important and most confusing--then discuss