Ten Lessons the Arts Teach
By Elliot Eisner
1. The arts teach children to make good judgments about qualitative relationships.2. The arts teach children that problems can have more than one solution and that questions can have
more than one answer.
3. The arts celebrate multiple perspectives.
4. The arts teach children that in complex forms of problem solving purposes are seldom fixed.
5. The arts make vivid the fact that neither words in their literal form nor numbers exhaust what we can know.
6. The arts teach students that small differences can have large effects.
7. The arts teach students to think through and within a material.
8. The arts help children learn to say what cannot be said.
9. The arts enable us to have experience we can have from no other source.
10. The arts’ position in the school curriculum symbolizes to the young what adults believe is important.