Monitoring of ELLs after language instructional program exit
Monitoring is required for two years after a student exits an ESL/Bilingual program
and appropriate records of student progress must be maintained.
20 U.S.C. § 6841(a)(4)
• Monitoring may include any or all of the following:
– Periodic review of grades
– Local assessments
– Required state assessments
– Teacher observation
• Teachers may offer support to monitored students as they would for any
student seeking additional assistance with classroom work, instruction, or
• Monitoring is NOT an extension of the language instructional program.
• Students who are monitored CANNOT be counted as ELLs in any state or
federal data collection systems for the purpose of acquiring state or
Monitoring guidance and forms can be found on the PDE website.