Preparing for Kindergarten Math
- Can your child count to 10? How about starting at 3 and counting to 10? Starting at 6? (Rote counting)
- Can your child count up to 10 objects? Do they understand that the last number said is the amount of the whole group?
- Given 10 objects, can they count out 7?
- Can they identify the names of the numbers to 10?
- Can they write the numbers to 10?
- Can they match the number with the correct set of objects?
- Do they see that 5 objects is 5 no matter what the arrangement?
• One more or one less without counting
• Changing numbers (7 to 9)
• Which is more or less
• Use knowledge of one number to count another
• How many more or less
• Recognize small groups without counting
• Recognize and describe parts of numbers in arrangements
• Describing shapes and space
• Teen numbers as ten plus leftovers
Helping Your Child
ü Make math a part of daily life
ü Provide lots of opportunities for counting
ü Ask your child to explain how he/she knows
ü Work with Geoboards, shape blocks, Cuisenaire rods, ten frames
ü Board games – Chutes and Ladders; Candyland, Checkers, Chinese Checkers