Transportation Safety Tips
- Have a safe place to wait for your bus, away from traffic and the street.
- Stay away from the bus until it comes to a complete stop and the driver signals you to enter.
- When being dropped off, exit the bus and walk ten giant steps away from the bus. Keep a safe distance between you and the bus. Also, remember that the bus driver can see you best when you are back away from the bus.
- Use the handrail to enter and exit the bus.
- Stay away from the bus until the driver gives his/her signal that it's okay to approach.
Be aware of the street traffic around you. Drivers are required to follow certain rules of the road concerning school buses, however, not all do. Protect yourself and watch out!
Bus children are to ride their assigned bus both to and from school. They are to get off the same stop as they got on when coming to school. They are to get on the bus stop nearest their home.
Children may not take the bus in order to visit friends, go to scouts, go to piano lessons, etc. without the permission of the Principal. Requests of this nature must be made in writing.
Children are expected to show the same respect to bus drivers as that accorded to their parents/guardians and Ferderbar staff. Repeated infractions of rules may necessitate denial of bus privileges. The driver will familiarize your child with the rules.
ONLY BY STRICT ENFORCEMENT OF THE RULES CAN YOUR CHILD'S SAFETY BE INSURED.
Crossing Guards: For the safety of our students that walk to and from school, crossing guards are provided at the following intersections:
FERDERBAR ELEM. SCHOOL AND HEIGHTS LANE (AT THE CIRCLE)
CENTRAL AVENUE AND HEIGHTS LANE
HICKORY AVENUE AND POPLAR ROAD
Check out the National Safety Council's Fact Sheet on School Bus Safety Rules.
Walking and Biking to School
Even if you don't ride in a motor vehicle, you still have to protect yourself. Because of minimal supervision, young pedestrians face a wide variety of decisions making situations and dangers while walking to and from school. Here are a few basic safety tips to follow:
Riding in a Car